4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not authenticating?

Hi, I am wondering if people out there would have any comments / thoughts on a situation I have come across at home recently.

We have moved house, and now have the PC in a different room from the wireless router. I am pretty proficient with Windows and Networking, routing etc, but this has flummoxed me a bit.

The PC has a PCI wireless card, and the signal strength from the wireless router in the next room is 'Excellent'. When the PC is pulled out, the wireless connects (am using windows native wireless) and the strength is 'Excellent', and connection speed is at max (54.0 Mbps) .

However when I put the PC where its meant to be - back 2 feet, and against 2 water pipes that run vertically, there is a very strange thing happens. It wont get an IP address. The wireless network is detected - at 'Excellent' strength, but it just hangs on authenticating, and doesn't get an IP address and hence connect. Every now and again it 'will' connect, but very rarely, though when it does, signal strength is 'Excellent' and speed is 54.0Mbps.

Can interference (from the pipes perhaps - as the PCI card's wireless antenna is very near them), prevent this authentication phase - even though the signal is strong?

I thought I understood the precepts of wireless, but I have to say am not sure what this could be? It must be the interference. I am looking to get a little length of antenna cable to run from the PCI card to the antenna which I will put higher up and see if this cures the problem.

Anyone had similar issues?

Cheers

Paul
    Thanks,

pmatz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not authenticating?

Not sure how the pipes are interfering but I remember a tip of changing the wireless channel on the router (from 6 to 11 if I remember correctly) to overcome a problem of a close by remote telephone handset in the same room as the computer.Maybe worth experimenting.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not authenticating?

Hmm, perhaps theres some powerlines in the wall there, or just the leads from the PC as its all in a corner by the pipes - just so annoying that if i move the PC forward its fine, but if not then i get no communication / authentication, although the signal is strong.

Have changed the channel to 3, 5 and 13 - no joy as yet. I'm thinking an extendable cable (if i can find one) is the way forward!
    Thanks,

pmatz