5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Syntax error (Vista Ultimate)

Hi,

I had a problem last week were my O/S (Vista) simply disappeared! I have run hard drive diagnostics on the drive with no errors.
    So I have reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate, however during install the O/S wouldn’t recognize my cordless keyboard. This has now been rectified by installing the appropriate software.
    However during install I was asked to put in a user name, I was unable to do this with the keyboard, but somehow managed to insert a character with the right click of the mouse and selecting one of the options. I can’t remember which.

However I now have this error pop up in a window:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Followed by:

Unable to open the self-extracting executable file. The file is locked or in use by another process. The installation will terminate.

The path reference for the error is:

C:Users?DesktopNameoffile.exe (with Nameoffile being the execution file.

I have changed the name of the user in the User Accounts successfully, but I still seem to be unable to run anything from this drive letter. This mainly relates to exe files I download onto the desktop for easy deletion.

I currently can’t run firefox, despite installing twice, and I suspect it is down to this.

Can anyone suggest anything? RegEdit maybe…

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Syntax error (Vista Ultimate)

Try running the Windows System File Checker tool. Click the Start button and type Command in the Start Search box. At the top of the left hand panel right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. At the command prompt type sfc /scannow and enter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, I'll try it when I get home.
    Would I be right in thinking that this error would have been caused by me not entering a user name in full? What will the above actually do?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

sfc /scannow scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible. I am not sure whether your problem is caused by the user name hiccup. No harm in checking the system files, although I have no idea whether the cause lies there.