3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoCalculate & AutoFill (2003)

The attached workbook has three columns of data entry (B,C and D). I want column D autocalculate based on the intersecting values of the combination matrix (G6:J9). That is when a record for Atribute 1 is selected as A and the Attribute 2 value is C, then I want column D in that record to autocalculate with B based on what the combination matrix would dictate.

I guess I would apply the same conditional formatting to column D that I did with columnns B and C.

I imagine this could be done with either a formula array or VBA? Thoughts? Any and all help is always appreciated.

Amy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoCalculate & AutoFill (2003)

You can enter this formula in D4:
    <code>
    =INDEX($H$6:$J$8,MATCH(B4,$G$6:$G$8,0),MATCH(C4,$H $9:$J$9,0))
    </code>
    and fill down. You can indeed apply the same conditional formatting to column D.

If you want to suppress the #N/A error value if column B or C is blank, you can use ISERROR to detect it:
    <code>
    =IF(OR(ISERROR(MATCH(B4,$G$6:$G$8,0)), ISERROR(MATCH(C4,$H$9:$J$9,0))), "", INDEX($H$6:$J$8, MATCH(B4,$G$6:$G$8,0), MATCH(C4,$H$9:$J$9,0)))
    </code>
    (The longer formulas may be displayed on two lines if your browser window isn't wide enough to display them on one line, but each is a single formula.)
    or
    <code>
    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX($H$6:$J$8, MATCH(B4,$G$6:$G$8,0), MATCH(C4,$H$9:$J$9,0))), "", INDEX($H$6:$J$8, MATCH(B4,$G$6:$G$8,0), MATCH(C4,$H$9:$J$9,0)))
    </code>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    This worked perfectly. Thanks.

Were I to change increase the number of attribute values from 3 to 5 and make a corresponding matrix change from 9 to 25, then the formula that you drafted would still work after making the corresponding changes to the cell references? Please advise.

Amy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, as long as you modify the cell references consistently, it'll work with a table of any height and width.