Lounger
    Thanks

Full File Path? (XP Prof. Version 2002)

All I need is to find out how I can see the entire path of the files I am looking at in my explorer window. normal every day files like word files and the like. I tried going to folder options and clicking the box that says "Display the full path in the title bar" but that didn't give me any results. What am i missing? I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. The reason I am trying to find out is so that I can change the drive origin letter on certain files so they can be opened by a particular program that right now is not recognizing them.

Thanks,

Bearfur

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Full File Path? (XP Prof. Version 2002)

Do you at least get as far as my sample clip shows? I don't know of a way to get Explorer to also add the name of a selected file to that display bar.

Besides that, I may not understand the problem you stated, but I don't think you can change the drive letter designation of a particular file. Maybe you mean something else and I'm not awake yet. It's early...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

>> ...clicking the box that says "Display the full path in the title bar" but ...

It is actually the "Display the full path in the address bar" you need to select.

There is a neat utility called Copy Path To Clipboard, a free download which gives you the capability to right-click a file and add the full path and filename to the clipboard - if that is of use?
    • File Type: gif x.gif (19.8 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Good Morning Al,

Yes, after I posted the thread I did figure out that the path is displayed there, at least the beginning of it. I am using Pinnacle to make videos and I have had hard drive problems and then a mother board crash on my desktop. I actually made the avi and stu files using my laptop and I saved them on external drives. Have I completely confused you yet? Well as I said I have had problems with the external drives and to make things worse when i had to have the mother board replaced on the desktop computer it changed the origin drive letters for all my files. It doesn't affect normal word files or anything like that, however, apparently in the Pinnacle software in order to run and stu file(the file that can be changed and manipulated to make the movie)it has to come from the hard drive that has the same letter attached to it as it did when it was originally made. What a kick in the pants. So I think I need to get more information off the Pinnacle forum and see if there is a way in the Pinnacle software to change where a particular stu file points to in order to open it up.

In the meantime, the question I asked about the explorer window is really just this. When I go to File Otions and then go to "view" there is an option that says "Display the full path in the title bar". When I check that option should not the entire path of the file be displayed in the title bar? I mean daaaaaa, what else would that mean? So I'm wondering can I get the full path displayed in the title bar or what am I missing?

Thanks Al, I will probably go to bed here in the next 10 minutes but I will check in on the forum in the morning. I am in Hawaii and it is 1:30 am here. The morning is going to come to early for sure. Thanks again and goodnight.

Bearfur

Lounger
    Thanks

Aloha Leif,
    I will give the Copy Path To Clipboard thing a try for sure.

Thanks,

Bearfur

Thanks

But did you select - and try - the 'address bar' option?

Thanks

Just to clarify - the Title Bar is the Blue band at the top of the Explorer window, the Address Bar is the Address toolbar below - which you may need to enable under View > Toolbars > Address....
    • File Type: gif x.gif (27.7 KB, 0 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

Aloha Leif,

Yes I have it now, thank you. I guess I am looking for something that I can right click on and change the name of the file from the root origin on up. I am not sure I will need to do that because I need to get more information from the Pinnacle forum to see if that is the only way the Pinnacle software is going to allow me to actually get back into the files to be able to manipulate them. Is there a way to get into the entire file name and change it from the root drive name on up?
    Bearfur

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like you're on the road to your own solution because of the Pinnacle "complication" you've mentioned. You can change the file name that the operating system records with a right-click but that doesn't do ANYTHING to the innards of the file, as complicated by Pinnacle. Again, where the OS is concerned, the drive letter is assigned for the physical drive or partition on which the file currently resides, NOT what's inside the file in its data stream.

You can even go so far as to re-assign the letters of your drives or partitions using the Disk Management application, but that also will not change what's recorded inside the file's data stream. Good luck with this "project." I don't know anything about Pinnacle but it's strange that they record drive letters in their contained data and not a "relative path" rather than an explicit drive designator.