5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer crashes (IE 7.0.6000.1)

With my new computer, Internet Explorer constantly crashes on me (3-4 times/day). It happens when I open several sites at once by right-clicking on links and opening several new windows. I notice it especially happens when I right-click a link and open a new window and while the new window pops up and is loading content, I alt + shift back to the former window to read it. I don’t think Internet Explorer likes that. It also happens when I open a new window and before the content loads, I start typing into the Google Toolbar search field.

I am using version 7.0.6000.1, the 256-bit version.

I never had this problem on my old laptop.

Any similar experiences or advice?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Internet Explorer crashes (IE 7.0.6000.1)

In the crash details what is the module that causes the crash? Is your system up-to-date with patches? What operating system?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where would I find crash details? All I get is a window popping up stating that IE is not responding and asking whether I want to wait for it to respond to restart it (see attached image).

As far as I know, yes.

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

Regards,

JMT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks

Most IE problems are caused by addons. See How To Open Internet Explorer 7 With Out Add-ons Enabled to get information on running IE without addons. BTW,are you running 64-bit IE or 32-bit IE?

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

You can go to Control Panel | System Maintenance | Problem Reports and Solutions | View Problem History. Then right click on the latest IE entry and select "View problem details".

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure if I am running 32 or 64-bit IE, but the Cipher Strength is 256-bit. When I type in "Internet Explorer" in the Start menu, in addition to Internet Explorer (No Add-ins), I get the options of Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer (64-bit). My guess is therefore that I have both 32 and 64-bit IE installed.

Where is the module indicated in the Problem Reports and Solutions window? Does any of the information help?
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
    Application Timestamp: 47918f11
    Hang Signature: 02ab
    Hang Type: 517

I have disabled add-ons. Let's see if this helps any.

BTW, I recall there being an IE icon on my desktop some weeks back. It has apparently disappeared. Can this be a part of the problem? If disabling add-ons don't work, would uninstalling and reinstalling IE work?

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks

It should not make a difference whether or not the IE shortcut is on the desktop.

With Vista, you can not reinstall IE by itself. You'd have to repair the OS install or you could try running "sfc /scannow" (without the "") from a command prompt.

The problem you posted is a hang not a crash. What happens if you click on the "wait to respond" option?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE did not hang yesterday while I was running it without add-ons. It did hang 3 times within the period of 2 hours just before I started running it without add-ons.

I’m not sure what happens when I select “wait for the program to respond.” Let me reenable the add-ons to see.

If the problem continues, I will disable Sun Java Console, since I read on some forums that that seems to have some compatibility problems.

Regarding the IE icon on my desktop, I don't think it was a shortcut; it didn't have the small arrow that shows up on my shortcut icons. What makes little sense is that although that icon no longer shows up when I go to my desktop, it is there when I look at my desktop through Windows Explorer! Why's that?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
    Make sure that Arrange Icons By | Show desktop icons is ticked. If not, you won't see any icons on your desktop.
    If you still don't see the Internet Explorer icon, right-click an empty part of the desktop again, and select Arrange Icons By | Name from the popup menu. Does the icon appear?

Administrator
    Thanks

You'd be better off re-enabling one addon at a time. That way you can run for a while. If IE crashes the culprit is probably the last addon you enabled. If it runs for a period of time where you'd usually have a crash and there is no crash then re-enable another addon.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I selected "wait for program to respond," I waited for 5 minutes, and when nothing happened, I closed the window.

I thought that disabling the Sun Java Console would stop IE from hanging, but I was wrong. It hung once on Friday and once today. Thus, although it is happening with less frequency, the problem continue.

In order to disable everything and start adding one by one, I went to Tools / Manage Add-ons, and with the "Add-ons currently loaded in IE" selected, disabled all add-ons. but under the "Add-ons that have been used by IE," there are still some that are enabled. Do I have to disable only the ones in the first menu or also those in the second?

Hans, Arrange Icons By | Show desktop icons is selected, and I selected Arrange Icons By | Name and the IE icon still did not appear. How odd.

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks

I'd disable all of them. But you can run with the first group disabled for a while to see what happens. That ought to tell you something.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had the first group disabled for over a week now, and I don't think IE has crashed since. I think I will just leave all of those add-ons disabled.

Thank you for your help,

JMT