New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking Changes

Hi there

I am currently using Word 2000. I have just received a Word Document via email from a client. The person that sent it to me told me that two different people had made changes to this document and when he opened the document on screen he could see these two sets of changes, one highlighted in red, the other in blue. When I opened the document on my PC I could only see one set of changes marked in red. Why is this and is there a setting I can change that would allow me to see the two sets of changes in different colours.

Regards

Billy Low

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking Changes

Billy,

Did the two people who changed the document both come from the same firm????

If so, their user information may be in the name of the Company and not the individual. If this is the case, then (as far as I am aware) once the document is emailed the changes do not appear in different colours from the different people.

If not, I'm sorry I can't help you.

Good luck in finding a solution if this is the case - hopefully a moderator may know more about this than I.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have a look [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img] in Tools > Track Changes > Highlight Changes > Options and change the colours to "By Author"

Or Review the edits and you are told who made each change.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A variant on this problem which I've seen a couple of times: several authors are marking revisions on a document, each with their own identifier and (automatically-Word-assigned) color.

At some point in the process and with the document open, Word crashes. When Word is restarted and the document is recovered, all of the changes are marked as made by "Unknown User". And basically at that point you're cooked.

(Item #7 of the "I Hate Track Changes Bible" by Any Authorized User)[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

Thanks

I believe [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]that the tracking changes history notes are system specific. If your computer doesn't recognize these usernames, it ignores them. A key is if you e-mail the document back to the other person, and he/she opens it, are the changes still the way they were before?

The following may help (or not):
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/track changes.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin