4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Protecting formatting (2003 )

Dear Loungers,

I need to think of a simple way to protect documents from having their formatting changed. By which I mean such things as margin size, point size, paragraph spacing. The user is allowed to add extra text. I suppose I need something like "only use styles provided" and "do not allow styles to be changed". Any ideas?

thank you................liz

Thanks

Re: Protecting formatting (2003 )

Csn you do want you want by protecting the document? On the tools manu, select Protect Documant. You should get a pane come up on the right and one of the things you can do is limit formatting to a selection of styles. Or you can restrict users to filling in forms, and use a form fields for them to type in. They then can't alter things like the page setup. You'd have to insert a form field from the Forms toolbar to give them somewhere to type.

Or others may have cleverer ideas.

Ian

Thanks

I never noticed this feature before!

You can limit forms protection to a single section and leave most of the document open for editing. Unfortunately, certain functions remain disabled throughout the document, such as Page Setup, Headers and Footers (perhaps depending on whether they are shared with a protected section), and so forth.

Making all edits as tracked changes is annoying, but might at least work around the problem with forms documents.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I've never used this for the following reason - I believe the styles protection works well enough in Word 2003 and 2007 but if the user opens the file in an earlier version of Word then the protection is non-existent.

Nowdays, with the majority of users having slid up the versions to Word 2003 or greater, security may be less likely to have been circumvented innocently but it doesn't give me a great level of confidence.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

I did play with this but I didn't 'think it's quite what I want. However on your suggestion I have taken another look and Hooray, it does exactly what I want! And as far as Andrew's concern goes, for me all users are on 2003 so all's well.

Thank you, I wouldn't have checked this again without the suggestion.................. liz