New Lounger
    Thanks

Create Legal Blackline (Word 2003, SP2)

We're using Word 2003 with Hummingbird DM. DM is a document management system and intercepts Word's native Open and Save dialogs including the Compare and Merge Documents dialog that provides the user the option to create a Legal Blackline. The only way to access the blackline feature is to compare files natively.

A few years ago, I seem to remember reading something written by Bob Blacksberg about adding or changing a registry key that forces Word to always create a legal blackline when using the Compare and Merge feature regardless of a DMS being integrated with Word. Of course, I applied the change to our then current workstation image but failed to write it down so I could use it for future desktop builds. Stupid, I know.

Does anyone know this registry key? It's working for us on older machines but our new image doesn't have this setting and I'd like to apply it so users will get a legal blackline copy when they compare two documents. Thanks in advance for any help on this. My internet searches are coming up with nothing.

Bobby B
    San Francisco

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create Legal Blackline (Word 2003, SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftOffice11 .0WordOptions.
    See if there is a subkey named vpref. If not, create a new key under Options named vpref.
    Then create a new DWORD value in vpref and name it fDefaultToCompare_1848_1.
    Double-click the new value, enter the value 1 and click OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create Legal Blackline (Word 2003, SP2)

Thanks Hans for the reply. I used the Custom Maintenance Wizard to create a .cmw file with the Legal Blackline setting applied. When I use the CMW viewer, indeed the vpref subkey is listed. Unfortunately, I can't find that subkey on the machine where the Legal Blackline is created by default - the older desktop image. Curious, no? Of course, that key isn't on the new image either. I plan to apply the CMW file to the machine that's not creating the Legal Blackline but before doing so, I'll use Prism Deploy PictureTaker to snap a pic of the machine without the CMW applied and take another pic after the CMW is applied. From there, I can view the PictureTaker file and see exactly what is applied to the registry.

Bobby