Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

File Too Big (2003)

I have a file that is approx. 300k, and I can't zip it below the 100k max, yet I need some advice/help. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Too Big (2003)

Are there sheets that aren't essential for the problem that you have? If so, make a copy of the workbook, and remove those sheets from the copy.
    You can also remove non-essential information from the remaining sheets.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. No, It looks as though (at least from my review-and keep in mind, I inherited this file from someone no longer with the company) all of the sheets and information are necessary. Perhaps I could e-mail it to you personally, then let you see if we could delete anything?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's a link at the bottom of each Lounge page that you can use to send an e-mail to LoungeAdmin.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I will forward it on with an explanatory note...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The formulas refer to various ranges in hidden parts of the worksheet. To understand what's going on, it's useful to unhide those rows and columns temporarily.
    The problem is that there is only a single range that lists the hours for the 9/80 schedule: AR9:BW21. This table contains 8 for EACH Friday, and 9 for all other days of the week.
    Your first task is to create separate tables for the "A", "B", "C" and "D" schedules.
    Next, you'll have to adjust the formulas to refer to the correct table for the employees' schedule.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I am trying to find the range vHoursCount" but am unable to do so; I think that is the key-if I can set up another vHoursCount for th C and D schedules, I'm thinking thaT MIGHT DO THE TRICK. wHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ranges such as vHoursCount are dynamic ranges whose location varies depending on the active cell. You can view their definition by selecting one of the cells that compute the number of hours, for example AI110, then selecting Insert | Name | Define...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, but I'm still confused (remember, this isn't my file-LOL!). When I do as you say (Insert|Name|define and highlight "vHoursCount", I don't find any range that is defined, only 'Vacation Schedule" which is the current worksheet. What am missing? Better yet, can I merely set up another range for the C/D workers like the A/B workers, only every other Monday is 8 hours?
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have to scroll down the list of defined names to see vHoursCount.

You will have to create separate tables for A, B, C and D because each has a different set of days that counts as 8 hours - for A it is the 1st, 3rd, 5th etc. Friday of 2008, and for B it is the 2nd, 4th, 6th etc. Friday of 2008. For C and D its different too.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For others reading this thread, I have attached the zipped workbook (68 KB).

And this is the text of Jeff's e-mail:
    <hr>As background: the attached file (that I inherited fom an employee no longer with the company) represents a vacation schedule for various classifications of employees (4). Our company has a policy that allows an employee to choose to work either (1) a regular 5-day, 40-hour week (i. e., 8 hours per day), or (2) one of four what we call "9/80" schedules with every other Friday or Monday off. For example, an employee choosing to work the work Schedule A would work 9 hours per day Monday through Thursday of the first week, and 8 hours on the Friday of that week. The next week, he/she would work 9 hours per day Monday through Thursday, and have Friday off. The same scenario is applicable for Schedule B employees, only they have the alternating Friday off (i. e., when the Schedule A employee has his/her Friday off, the schedule B employee would work an 8 hour day, and have the next Friday off). The same holds true for Schedule C and D employees, only instead of Fridays, they would have alternate Mondays off. The problem I am having lies with the calculation of vacation time for Schedule C and D employees for those Mondays they are otherwise scheduled to work. Specifically, what I am having a problem with is calculating the vacation hours for a Schedule C and/or D employee who takes a day of vacation on a Monday that he/she is otherwise scheduled to work. When this occurs, company policy is that they be charged 8 hours of vacation (corresponding to the hours they would have otherwise worked). However, I can't seem to get the schedule to compute this correctly-instead of charging them 8 hours, the formula is returning 9-see column S, row 110, and column Z, row 114 (for whatever reason, the formulas for the Schedule A and/or B employees are working correctly-i. e., they are returning the correct value of 8-see column P, row 102, and column W row 106). The applicable resultant formulae are set out in column AI on Worksheet "Vacation Schedule", Rows 102, 106, 110, and 114. I would appreciate it if you would please take a look at the file and see if you can tell what I am doing wrong. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!<hr>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

One last quick question: when go to Insert|Name|Define and scroll down to vHoursCount, the range it displays in the window is too long to be viewed completely. Is there any way to increase the size of the window to view what makes up the whole range or possibly print off the specific range address?
    Thanks again for your help

Thanks

You can select the entire formula in the "refers to" box and copy it elsewhere

You can also go to a blank portion of a worksheet and insert - name - paste - [paste list] to get a pasted list of all the visible names with the formulas.

Steve

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve