3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow returning from Edit to Form view (Access 2003 xp sp3)

I often find when working on forms that they switch to design view instantly but often take about 10-15 secs and sometimes even longer to return to the form view state. The screen often goes white except for the form and window borders while this is happening. I also find on occasions that in design mode, the mouse pointer often lags a few seconds before changing to the relevant shape depending on what form object it is passing over or trying to select.

I also find on a few occasions that forms take longer than usual to come up but once up, perform fine.

I am running a front/backend system with the backend on a remote machine on an office lan. I have checked the ping between machines and it comes back fine. I am considering upgrading the router and switch to 1000mbps units but I am unsure if this will help. I am also having problems with 2 machines with a quicken multiuser environment. Using quicken on the remote machine has become almost impossible due to slow responses which also makes me wonder if it is a network issue, hence my looking into new hardware.

Anyone have any words of wisdom about either of these issues?
    "Heading for the deep end"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow returning from Edit to Form view (Access 2003 xp sp3)

Make sure that you have turned off "Track Name Autocorrect" (from menubar, select Tools | Option | General). This might help speed things up when you are finished editing a form.

That forms come up slowly the first time is usually an indication that you have a very large recordset behind the form. You might look at this article: http://my.advisor.com/articles.nsf/aid/11702# It also may be related to subforms with large recordsets.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.