Lounger
    Thanks

Word breaks table rows on hard line breaks (Word 2003)

Good morning.

I've got a document where I need to convert many text chunks into tables. These text chunks are irregular in format. In particular, the chunk of text that should turn into a description cell sometimes includes hard line breaks. I want to break columns on the colon character and rows on new paragraphs.

I am working on a macro to handle this, but am a bit stymied because when I tell Word to break table lines on paragraphs and columns on the colon character, it breaks on the hard returns as well as on soft paragraph marks.

Does anybody know how to avoid this, short of doing a temporary find and replace on the hard returns?

Thanks,

Jessica

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word breaks table rows on hard line breaks (Word 2003)

I'm confused by your description. Do you want to start a new table row on a paragraph break (Enter) but not on a manual line break (Shift+Enter), or the other way round, or neither, or ...?

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be so confusing. I want to start a new row on the paragraph break (Enter, I guess - shows as a pilcrow) but NOT on the manual line break (shift-enter).

For the moment I am doing a text replace of all instances of SHIFT-ENTER to some unusual text, then doing the table conversion, then replacing the replacement text with the manual line break character.

Thanks,

Jessica

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the way I would do it too - I usually replace with something like "@@@@" or similar.

I don't think there is a way to tell Word directly to ignore manual line breaks in Table | Convert | Text to Table.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for confirming. I replace with "HardReturnXXX" in case I'm doing more than one replacement activity in a single document massaging session.