Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Updates (XPP - SP3)

Since Microsoft released updates yesterday I have been getting continual notifications of the same update which I have installed multiple times and it keeps telling me the update was successful yet I continue to get a notification saying I need this update. I have had to shut off Automatic Updates to eliminate this notification. When I go to Microsoft Updates and check it shows that this update, which is KB956841, has been successfully installed 9 times. If I check for updates while at the Microsoft Update site it again lists it as a download I need to do and install. What's happening here?

How can I correct this and be able to turn the Automatic Update notification back on?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Updates (XPP - SP3)

See KB956841 security update for suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I have done everything the article said to do and I still am having the problem. I searched for that file KB956841.logs like it said to do here, If that doesn't resolve the reoffering, check the KB956841.logs located in %windir% on the problematic systems, and can't find that file. I tried finding that file by doing a search for KB956841.logs and nothing was found. Should I be looking for it some other way and if so what do I do once I locate it if I do ever locate it?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know any answer or solution to your problem - I never have autoupdate turned on. I just wanted to post that I DO find that file in the C:Windows directory. Maybe the absence on your system is an indication of a wider problem, but I don't know.

Edited: I should add that, coincidentally I just did my XP updates yesterday, as you can see in this sample of the log file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The file name is KB956841.log, not KB956841.logs. The "s" indicates plural.

I'm afraid that the contents of the log file are rather technical. I'm not sure mere mortals such as you and I can do anything with them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al and Hans. Now that I searched for the correct file I do find it in the Windows directory. Now I just need someone who knows what I should look for and change.

BTW I tried turning off the automatic updates and it still puts a little red shield in my systray telling me I should turn it on. If I could get rid of that red icon I'd be happy to turn off automatic updates again.
    H Lewton

Thanks

If you go to Control Panel>Security and click on "change the way Security alerts me" etc. Then click on "don't notify me and don't display the icon" ( it's not recommended but I have it set that way )

I rely on my own timing to check for updates.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

"... and it still puts a little red shield in my systray telling me I should turn it on."

How about: Control Panel | Security Center | Change the way Security Center alerts me (in left pane) | Alert Settings dialog box | Clear check box at Automatic Updates?

But do remember that you have AU turned off and this setting in place.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Argus
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well people I wanted to let you know that my problem got resolved and I really don't know exactly how. I'll tell you what I do know. I gave a Microsoft technician remote control of my computer and she with some kind of batch file reset a lot of *.DLLs I guess. Then after once again removing the update through the control panel we had to reload the software to use the Microsoft Update WEB site. Once that was done she checked for any available updates and once again installed KB956841, rebooted and once again checked for available updates and it responded correctly by saying there were none available. The first link that Hans gave me showed a free support number to call and that is how I got a hold of the MS tech.

Thanks for all the help.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

l'm glad the problem is solved. Nice to hear that Microsoft helped free of charge.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Here are a few lines explaining what was done from a follow up email from the tech who helped me .

ACTION: You were trying to check with Microsoft updates on the computer.
    RESULT: You were able to find the (KB956841) Update Re-offered.
    CAUSE: As per diagnosis some dllís were causing the issue.
    RESOLUTION: Re-registered the dllís and issue was resolved.

As this was being done by her A.bat file I saw at least 20 DLLs fly by me in a DOS window.
    H Lewton