4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery Panel (SP2)

A mystery panel has started appearing in tne middle of my monitor. It is similar in size to the Outlook Express splash screen, but slightly wider and not quite so deep. It contains vestiges of the last window open on my monitor and updates with each new window I open. Any ideas? I tried restarting the PC but it is still there.

Thanks

Re: Mystery Panel (SP2)

Have you tried updating your video drivers to see if that helps?

Can you attach a screen shot of what it looks like?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't done anything about the drivers yet. See screen shot attached. It is showing part of Outlook Express which was open last (including part of your reply). I first saved it as a .jpg file but it was too big to post, so have saved it as a ;gif file. Hope this is OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (26.6 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

OK - I did a quick edit of your graphic to trim it down a bit.

I suspect this is a driver problem and strongly recommend you get the latest for your graphic card to see if that helps. I have also seen this phenomenon when running with too little memory and too many applications open. Is it something that has just started happening? Do you get it immediately after a reboot, or does it take time to manifest itself?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When i restarted the PC yesterday the panel reappeared immediately but today when I started up it has gone and so far has not reappeared. Should it happen again, how do I go about updating the driver? Is the program Driver Detective legitimate? I have heard a lot about dubious programs that purport to help but in fact cause even more trouble.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's best to visit the website of the manufacturer of the video card.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You have not enough video memory (VRAM) on your video adapter, so Windows had to allocate some system memory (RAM) for video. However, when you run a program which requires al lot of memory and/or CPU activity, Windows "reclaims" system memory and a picture on your screen is not fully refreshing in time. For example, on the screenshot you provided you can see a "leftover" of your mail client in place of closed window or logo - the desktop background was not refreshed in time.

Unfortunately, most of video adapters have no capability to add physical VRAM. Consider to acquire a new video adapter (adapters with 128 MB of VRAM are inexpensive) or increase your system RAM (I would recommend no more than to 2 GB).

Good luck!