New Lounger
    Thanks

History list disappears

My husband is working on works in windows XP and has lost the history list several times. When I used this machine, I never had this problem. What is he doing that could cause this? I can always restore it for him but it takes time and he gets very frustrated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: History list disappears

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Does your husband run a "cleaner" utility such as CCleaner? Such utilities can - if configured to do so - delete the 'most recently used files' list of applications.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans:

Thanks for your reply. No, he does not use anything like that - we are very unsophisticated usersand only know very basic things.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You wrote that you can restore his 'history' although its takes time. How do you do that, and where do you find it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

All his things are in my documents and I can transfer them just by opening them, as once I open them they go to the history list. Also, we try to save everything to a removable disc so that if something were to be lost from my documents I can get it off that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I found a suggestion to uninstall, then reinstall Microsoft Works, but I cannot guarantee that this will solve the problem. (See Microsoft Works: microsoft works 'recently used file' list not appearing)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out and all we have is what was originally in the computer as we bought it. But I have a stupid question - he is not connected to the internet (he only uses it as a word processor and spread sheet) so if I do this am I not just reinstalling the same problem? Would it not be better for hm to just work from My Documents if this ever happens again?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't tell you whether reinstalling would get rid of the problem. If your husband can live with opening documents from his My Documents folder, that might be easier than the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The use of "History" or even the use of "Recents" have "Hamstrung" way to many users. One needs to learn NOT to depend on these handy little tools and get back to the "File Open" which almost ALL programs have.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I have my husband convinced that if the history list disappears again, he can find the files on My Computer and use them from there.