5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

IMAP > 1 MB (2003 SP3)

I have just been told that Outlook can't handle emails with attachments > 1 MB using IMAP.
    I have 2 computers that use IMAP for the same email address, and if I send an email > 1 MB they sometimes don't go at all. But mostly they just keep sending the email, with attachment, to the recipient forever, while still staying in my OutBox. Imagine how delighted the recipient is to get 20+ copies of a 2 MB attachment! Is there any way of overcoming this?
    Sure BIll & Co do some really awful customer ill treating stuff, but surely they aren't that bad.
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IMAP > 1 MB (2003 SP3)

'Doctor, it hurts when I do this.' Well, don't do that!

In general, I don't think it's a good idea to send such large attachments. Store the files on a web server instead, and give the person from whom they are intended a link to download them. There are several free services offering this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.
    Good idea or bad idea, it sure is convenient, and that is what we have computers for - doing things more conveniently. Using POP3 I have never had any problems, but apparently with IMAP it is a problem. Do you know of any way that this can be got around?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Use POP3?
    Use Gmail?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't use GMail as Access is tied into using Outlook.
    Can't go back to POP3 as I need to synch emails from my main computer and my laptop. I tried synching programs and found them to be pretty bad.
    Surely there must be a way around this. This legacy from Bill is pretty frustrating.
    Regards,
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

I don't think there are any limits on attachments size in Outlook inherent in IMAP. There are a number of issues that could cause a problem. Do you have your A/V scan outgoing messages? Is this an Exchange server implementation with limits set on the server? What are the limits set by the ISP at the sending and receiving sides?

See this blog post for possible workarounds - Microsoft Office Outlook Team Blog : How To Share Large Files Without Attaching Them.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks for the input. Apparently there are no significant limits from my ISP.
    I re-set the server timeout to max (10 mins) and the attachments now seem to go OK. The old timeout coupled with a rather slow cable upload speed of 124 kb/s seems to be the problem.
    Unfortunately my ISP Telstra BigPond have washed their hands of correcting the upload speed. So at present I'm stuck.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks

I see that dealing with ISP in Australia is about as much fun as it is in the USA. Here, you almost always need to end up talking to a manager when the front line people 'throw up their hands'. The front line support people are measured on how many calls they can resolve on the first call. So, they have a big incentive to close the case ASAP. Again here, you've go to insist that they check the line. Sometimes a threat of changing ISPs (which may not really be practical) or reporting them to the state Attorney General does some good.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, as we say in Aus, thanks mate.
    He checked the line several times and said the line was excellent. We spent about 50 minutes on the phone and at no point did he appear anxious for me to go. In fact it was me who suggested that I hang up. The conversation was friendly the whole time. So I tend to believe him.
    I tried to download a program 'SpeedUpMyPC' to see what can be done on my computer. The program needs .Net Framework 3.5. I tried downloading and installing that but it repeatedly refused to install. There seems to be an abundance of folk on the net with the same problem, but I can't see a solution to allow me to download it. I'll post this prob on the 'General MS Office Suite' area.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks

I've had good luck with .net 3.5 by downloading the whole big package not just the installer. You can download it from Download details: .NET Framework 3.5 in the bottom third of the page is the link to the Full Reditributable Package. It is large - ~200MB. Then install .net 3.5 sp-1 from Download details: .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 in the bottom third of the page is a link to the Full Package. It is large - ~240MB.

Note: both .exe download files are named dotnetfx35.exe so if you decide to download both before any install be sure to rename one.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trying full SP1 install. thanks Joe
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried the full SP1 package. No dice won't install either.
    You certainly do keep up to date with all the latest stuff. Thanks anyway.
    Regards,
    Peter