Thanks

Text in cells (2007)

According to (highlights for Excel 12 [2007] from Microsoft) - "and we increased the number of characters that can be stored and displayed in a cell formatted as Text from 255 to 32k" (at http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...26/474258.aspx).

In an existing XLSX sheet, I have column of cells that I want to be able to store more than 256 text chars in. I ensured that the cells are formatted as text.

However, when I exceed 256 text chars in one of these cells, Excel continues to then show all ######### in the cell (but I can see all the text chars in the formula bar).

Since this is an existing sheet, I tried creating a new sheet and conducted the same experiment. Strangely, the test worked there.

Anyone have any ideas to explain what I might be doing wrong or how to make this work?

Thanks

Re: Text in cells (2007)

I can't check in XL2007 but in XL2002 this will do it if you format the cell as "TEXT". If you format as "General" the cell will display correctly. It appears that the TEXT format has not been "fixed" to show more than 255 chars...

[But it may be "fixed" (and this is what they mean) if the cell size is large enough to display all the characters. If the col or row is too small, it would not be able to display all the characters and hence the #################.]

Steve

Thanks

Re: Text in cells (2007)

I changed back to general format and the text in the cell displayed correctly, regardless of whether text wrap was on/off..

But I had General format before. I don't know why it didn't seem to work for >255 chars previously.