4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a DFS Share (Windows 2003)

Up to now I've been able to avoid using a Distributed File System (DFS) but I can't any longer. I need to split our client files between two locations for load balancing. The domain server therr'e on now is working to hard and is running out of space. The other domain server is much more powerful and has loads more space. I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out how to do this.

I have a share on Server_1 named Matters which holds all the client directories. Attached is a screen shot of the hiearchy of those folders. It's based on the client file number. On all the workstations it's mapped as the S drive. What I'd like to do is create the same file folder structure on Server_2 and gradually move the oldest files there. The DFS would combine the two locations so to the user it appears to be just the same single location.

Is that possible? How would I set it up in DFS?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daisy

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a DFS Share (Windows 2003)

I don't think DFS will do that, I think DFS is going to try to replicate your files, which isn't close to what you want to do. IMO, I think you'd be best served to move everything to the new server, or look at establishing a server solely for file storage and print purposes.

Administrator
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a DFS Share (Windows 2003)

Thank you to you both. The links will help a lot. I won't be able to do what I want the way I originaly thought it through but I see now how I can do it a different way.
    Daisy