New Lounger
    Thanks

Saving VLOOKUPs values as TXT file (Excel2003)

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a lot of combo boxes for data validation. Each combo box has an associated column using VLOOKUP to return a code for the selection. Attached is a example with 3 combo boxes, and 3 VLOOKUP columns.
    I want to export only the 3 Code columns to a TXT file. Is there a simple way to do this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving VLOOKUPs values as TXT file (Excel2003)

Welcome (back?) to Woody's Lounge!

You could place the three code columns on a separate sheet (as adjacent columns), and save that sheet as a text file. You could also leave the columns as they are and create links to them (using formulas) on a separate sheet.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - that worked. I created a work sheet called a-DataInput (with combo boxes), and a work sheet called a-TXTFile (containing the codes) which will be saved to a TXT file. This is attached.

I have a related question. Is there a way to import a text file (which has just the codes) so that the combo boxes (containing the descriptions) can be used to edit the data? There are a large number of text files which were created with the codes, which need editing in the future. So the combo boxes would be helpful. Should I paste the text file into the work sheet b-TXTFile and then copy the values from b-DataDisplay work sheet over the a-DataInput work sheet?

I was wondering if there is an easier way... Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    PS I have been to the lounge before for Access and Word and VBA - I am a novice with Excel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It might be easier to do this in Access, where lookups are a more 'natural' feature.
    In Excel, the process would be as you describe.