Super Moderator
    Thanks

Access 2002 as Mail Merge Data Source (Office XP - Windows ME)

I seem to have run into a problem doing Mail Merges either from Word or from Access using the XP versions - including documents and databases that merge fine with Office 2K.

If I try to initiate a merge from Word, when I specify the database (Access 2k) as a front-end database with queries but no (useful) local tables, Word gives me only local tables and queries with ONLY local tables as potential data sources - note that I do have User Security active for Access but I don't get any sort of login prompt from Access.

If I try to initiate a merge from Access using the Office Links command on the Tools menu, I get a dialog box that is sort of like the one Word presented me, but it has an extra button labeled Options... which lets me choose views and synonmys (for the linked tables). When I do so, Word appears to be ready to do a merge, but I promptly get an error message that says "Word was unable to open the data source." That leads me to suspect that security is somehow involved.

So I opened the back-end database (also Access2k) and tried the same thing. This time I got a dialog box labeled "Data Link Properties" specifiying the database I have open using the Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider, and showing Admin with no password as the default. I changed the userid/password to specify the correct values, but get a dialog box that says "...you don't have the necessary permissions...". So in frustration I click cancel, and then Word steps though all 6000 records in the table I selected, I have a long break, and it finally says I can insert merge fields. It feels like I should be able to specify the Access System.mdw file somewhere in the process, but I can't find it.

I was led to believe that the Mail Merge capabilities in Word had been improved substantially, but so far I am not convinced. Has anybody else out there seen this kind of behavior?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2002 as Mail Merge Data Source (Office XP - Windows ME)

It sounds like you're running into security issues with Access rather than a problem with Word mail merge. The business with the backend suggests that you applied permissions to the front end but not the back end of your database, which would mean that you don't have any real security on the database.
    <hr>I do have User Security active for Access but I don't get any sort of login prompt from Access.<hr>
    Does this mean that you get a login prompt if you open the front end from Access but not when you try to mailmerge?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access 2002 as Mail Merge Data Source (Office XP - Windows ME)

Your suggestion is more or less correct - in general users of the database have the ability to at least read and in many cases modify data in the tables in the back-end. However neither the Admin userid nor the Users group have ANY permissions - the same is true in the front-end.

As to your question about the login prompt, yes I do get a login prompt when I open either the front-end or the back-end from Access, but nothing if I open either from the Word Mail Merge Wizard. If I initiate the merge using Access, I do get a login prompt to set up the OLE DB source, which fails with the correct userid and password. When I click cancel, then Word goes ahead and opens the data source.

Using security with Access and merges could be tricky previously, as Word often wanted to start a new instance of Access, but this appears to be a different behavior.

Wendell
    Wendell