3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pushing Templates (Word 2000/2003)

I am hoping that at least some of the great supporters of this forum have to deploy templates as part of their work.

I have a global template with many macros and a number of templates that are mainly just styles and some content. Until now these templates have just been used by myself and a few others in the company. Now we want to roll them out to many users.

The global template has to sit in WordStartup in the users' profiles and the templates will also need to sit in their profiles (many users will not be on the network regularly). What we need is a means of pushing those templates to the right location on their PCs. A self extracting zip file will not work as the username will be different in each case. I am told that Active Directory Policies cannot be used for this requirement.

Does anyone have any ideas please that avoid the users having to locate these folders and manually install them?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pushing Templates (Word 2000/2003)

One method I have seen is to have VBA code in one of the Global Templates that moves them all to the required location.
    I have also seen this done with a .BAT file, that uses environment variables such as %USERPROFILE% to identify target locations.

StuartR

Thanks

You could try InnoSetup, which generates an EXE file. Your users can execute it from a shared folder (you can't email an EXE in Outlook). The following post has a sample script to build an installer targeting the user templates folder: <post:=618,658>post 618,658</post:>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both. Will look into the suggestions.