5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scale of master shapes (all)

I am very new to creating stencils and shapes and was unable to find an answer in my search.

I am trying to create some shapes for frequent use in arranging furniture in rooms ranging from small to large. For example, a table that is 4 feet by 8 feet. When I use this shape, the drawing scale in the document may differ each time as my paper will always be 8.5 x 11 but I may need to diagram a room that is 25' x 40'. Problem is that I am unable to create the 4 x 8 table shape in a manner that it will always be 4 x 8 when dragged into the document.

Therefore, my question is:

How do I create a master shape and assign a size to it such that it retains that size and assumes the scale of the document in which it is used? I would want to do this selectively as other shapes - such as a wall - would need to be adjusted to show room size and shape prior to doing the furniture placement.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Scale of master shapes (all)

From a quick look, it appears that this is exactly what happens in Visio already. How are you changing the drawing scale?

In Visio 2003, File>Page Setup>Drawing Scale has a very noticeable effect on the proportion of the screen size of the objects - and the dimensions as shown in Size and Position are unchanged.
    If this doesn't work for you, then perhaps you need to visit the Shape Sheet for the object you are working with to have a play with the settings for that shape.

Now to do this selectively is another matter. I would have thought a brick wall has the same thickness no matter how long you make it. All objects should be scaleable using the drawing scale not just some of them.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scale of master shapes (all)

Andrew, you're quite correct. Visio does do this. I found that my problem was that I had not chrcked the drawing scale when I created the shape via the 'Add master shape". I presumed it would be the same drawing scale as what I was already using and it was not. Once I edited the shape and set the correct drawing scale, all was fine.