New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost formulas (Excel in Office 2007)

Could you help with this...Using MS Office 2007 in Excel a spreadsheet updated on a monthly basis since 1994, on saving, has lost all its formulas and kept the numbers correct?
    To put it another way... the sheet is correct at the last time it was saved but adding a figure in any column now doesn’t affect the total... the “total” is now a number rather than a formula. I have since re-done the formulas and re-saved but would like to avoid it happening again
    Thank you Ray

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost formulas (Excel in Office 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Saving a workbook shouldn't replace formulas with values. One way to replace formulas with values is copy followed by paste special with the Values option, another is through VBA code in a macro, but it shouldn't happen spontaneously. So I assume it was a one-time glitch.

You could have Excel make a backup copy of the workbook before saving it, so that you can always go back to the previous version:
    - Click the big Office button.
    - Select Save As > Tools > General Options...
    - Tick the "Always create backup" check box.
    - Click OK.
    - Save the workbook.
    From now on, Excel will create a backup copy of the workbook each time you save it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much Hans...The original cause has remained a mystery...I replaced the formulas and saved the sheet, it has since been OK...

If I could ask another question.....

In MS Internet Explorer if you copy a table for the internet...say a bank statement... and paste it onto a Word, the page it comes up as a table, an exact copy of the original. When you do the same in Mozilla Firefox it shows as an unusable paragraph or continuous text. Is there a way of adjusting the settings in Firefox so it would recognise a table.

Thank you Ray

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are add-ons for Firefox that let you copy and paste tables from web pages, e.g. Table2Clipboard and TableTools.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have sometimes seen 2007 workbooks losing their formulas, but always after Excel complained the file was corrupt and needed "fixing".
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association