New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Format (11)

I am adding a new machine to a small network in a home. Some of the facilities on the existing machine are required on the new one and it has been explained to me like this:

"where, I have in a document or email standard information, I highlight it and either I go to Autoformat and save the highlighted information as automatic text or automatic correct the latter, I just give code words, like for example D once typed will always come up then with Defendant"

OK we obviously need to copy a file from one machine to the other and what springs to mind is normal.dot but there might be a different or other files involved - suggestions on this issued would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Format (11)

It sounds like the user means AutoCorrect (in Tools | AutoCorrect Options). AutoCorrect entries are stored in different locations: unformatted entries are stored in files with extension .acl, while formatted entries are stored in the Normal.dot template.

See How can I import and export all my AutoCorrect entries, so they can be transferred to another machine? on the Word MVP site.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Looks interesting with the attachment read. Within that attachment the program has been downloaded but I found macro security had to be rediuced to low before it would run; a word document presumed of the store info appeared on the screen without any prompts. Not sure what file extension should be used to save it. Advice sougt on this please.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't have to set macro security to Low - it is sufficient to set it to Medium; you will be prompted to enable macros. When you click Backup..., you'll get a document with a list of all AutoCorrect entries. You can store this as a Word document (.doc) using the suggested name AutoCorrect Backup Document.doc, but you may change the name if you wish.
    Transfer this document to the new computer, together with AutoCorrect.dot. Open AutoCorrect.dot there, and this time click the Restore... button instead of the Backup... button. You'll be asked to locate the document created by the backup, and the entries in it will then be added to the AutoCorrect entries on the new computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (11.1 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's getting late now; time to go home now. I will continue this task in the morning. Thank you for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Returned to this task today nd I have to confirm that it all worked out OK. Thank you for the help and assistance given.