Thanks

Problem with KB958644?? (Windows Server 2003 R2)

I applied the patch to a Terminal Services server running Windows Server 20032 R2 less than 2 hours ago and, after it blocked the server from external internet access, have just UNinstalled it.
    It may just be a case of opening up a port or something just as innocuous, but without internet access with which to investigate the problem, there wasn't much else I could do.
    The server itself lost internet access, I of course couldn't dial out through it to reach the internet - so down it comes until further notice.
    We are running a SonicWall firewall at this location, so vulnerability is less of a concern (but still a concern) than at other locations.

When I arrived at this client site a few hours ago, on a call that some users couldn't access the internet, I found that the Terminal Services server was caught in a continuous reboot cycle. The mail server next to it indicated that it had received an emergency patch that required a reboot overnight, so I assumed at first that this was why the TS server was trying to reboot. Once I shut it down for a few minutes and brought it back up, I found that the new emergency patch (KB958644) was NOT yet installed, so I installed it and rebooted again. Now, I don't know if the reboot cycle was caused by a failed install of this patch or not, but after I installed it and rebooted, the server could no longer reach the internet.
    I removed the patch, and the server is now back to normal.
    Have a cookie -

Don

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

KB958644 problem update

Well, it seems as though the TS (and DNS) server was trying to reboot because of a bad install of the security patch; powering it down allowed me to boot it up and install the patch, but after that it blocked internet access - not a desirable feature for a TS or a DNS server.
    I uninstalled the patch and will leave it that way for now; but I wanted to add that our mail server, also running Server 2003 R2, installed the patch overnight and rebooted successfully, and is running smoothly with no problems or complaints about email.

So there you have it - in our little test group of 2, the failure rate for the patch was 50%. Kind of a limited sampling, so take it for what it's worth. But if given the choice, I would wait to apply the patch to a server.
    Have a cookie -

Don