Lounger
    Thanks

Enter Network Password (Outlook 2003, 11.8217.8221)

I am a Google e-mail user getting my mail by POP3 in Outlook. Lately, and only lately, I have been getting the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD pop-up window from time to time, maybe 2 times a day. The password appears as a string of asterisks, indicating it has already been saved. I just click on OK and off I go with no further problems until the pop-up occurs again at random points. I can not cause it to happen. I am thinking it s a Google issue since a friend who uses a different ISP also reports the same problem. Her environment is just like mine, Outlook 2003 and Googe e-mail thru POP3.

Mostly I'd like to know if others are experiencing the problem and/or if anyone has heard of this, and maybe even seen a fix?

Thank you,

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Enter Network Password (Outlook 2003, 11.8217.8221)

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I have done this and will wait to see if things improve.

I should have specified that what this process (at your above link) entailed for me was a resetting of my auto send/receive from 1 minute (which it has always been) to 11 minutes based on the Google instructions. Seems a bit wacky to me unless Google changed something? My Outlook has run fine for years with the auto send/receive set to 1 minute. Anybody else have a comment on this? I welcome other Gmail users' comments on your setting.

I also went through the unlock silliness on the Google web site. I don't really think that does anything, but who knows?

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One minute is very short - if you send or receive many messages (or messages with large attachments), processing them and checking them for viruses might take more than a minute. If the new send/receive request starts before the previous one has finished, your account will be "in use", so you'll be prompted to log in.
    Of course, it also depends on the speed of your internet connection.
    In my experience, 5 minutes is an acceptable setting.

Lounger
    Thanks

Strange but true I guess.

No reoccurrences of the problem since I upped my send/receive time from 1 to 11 minutes. Of course, I find myself clicking on Send/Receive quite frequently! :-)

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can experiment with shorter times than 11 minutes - as I wrote before, 5 minutes works OK in my experience, and you may be able to use 4 or 3 minutes.