Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Modem driver keeps corrupting

Still working on my friend's hardware, she is experiencing continual corruption of her internal SmartLink 56K Voice Modem driver. It's not even able to dial out. I can remove it from Device Drivers then reboot and let it be redetected, and it works fine for a while. Clearly, this is not a satisfactory situation though. Any remedies to suggest please?

Alan

Thanks

Re: Modem driver keeps corrupting

Alan,
    Trying to get my thinking back to the 56k modem days. Kinda foggy!

Have you tried to update the drivers for the modem?
    It seems Smartlink has been out of business for a few years and was bought out by Conextant ( or a name similar to that ) but Google says there are still drivers available for most Windows systems including XP and Vista.
    One of the sites mentioned is HERE

Also,does Device Driver identify the proper modem name and model number or try to install a default driver?
    Have you tried running in compatibility mode if possible?

But you may have already tried these things.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modem driver keeps corrupting

Thanks Bob. Some of those symptoms might fit the problem. I found a free download site here for the SmartLink V.90/92 Internal Modem 4.20.01 driver, and will give it a shot. The driver in use is an XP one, but specific to the modem - not generic. We'll see how it goes.

Alan