Lounger
    Thanks

Adding Combo Boxes values (2003)

I have 3 questions First off, I have 18 combo boxes, with a value list of 1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10, and a text box at the bottom of the form. I would like to have it sum the values of the combo boxes. Secondly, I would like to have a Yes/No combo box, but if Yes is selected, the total needs to add a 10 to it, and a No should add 0. Third, if I wanted to have the value from said text box transfer to another form, would a simple [forms]![formname]![textbox].[value] work?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding Combo Boxes values (2003)

1) & 2) Set the control source of the text box to

=Val([Combo01])+Val([Combo02])+...+Val([Combo18])-10*([ComboYesNo]="Yes")

subsitituting the correct names, of course.

3) An expression of the form

=[FormName]![TextBoxName]

will work, but only if the form FormName is open.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have 2 more questions now, First off, if I use the Val(....., how do I get the form to write that value to the table? I am using the source control to add the values up.

Secondly, I have a report with a chart on it, generated by a query. I would like to have the report be generated depending on the selection of a combo box, but everytime I use [Forms]![Formname]![ComboName].[Value], i get an error. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I really don't want to make seperate reports and charts for 30 different areas.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since the result is a calculated value, you shouldn't store it in a table, that would be redundant. By calculating it on the fly, you know for certain that it is always up-to-date.

Does it work better if you omit .[Value], i.e. if you use [Forms]![Formname]![ComboName] ?

Lounger
    Thanks

ill try the omitting thing tomorrow at work.

For the first question, what would you suggest? I can't log onto your site at my work, deemed "non work related' ..... (if they only knew...), so I can't post it either, but here's the low down.
    I have a list of 18 combo boxes, 16 have a value list of 1-10, and 2 are yes/no. The yes values are weighted with certain values, one is 30, and the other is 2. What I need to do is total them all up, at the bottom of the form, and put that into a table, along with the values of each combo box. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Once again, there is no need to store (weighted) sums in a table. You can calculate them 'live' when they are needed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help Hans. I tried to remove the [value] from the [Forms]![formname]![combobox], but it still doesnt work. It gets a "Microsoft Jet Engine Error" Says something about an invalid expression. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.