Thanks

Folder Options (XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2)

I need help in setting 'folder options' in XP Pro so that I see what I want.

Perhaps I am anachronistic in my terminology. I see a fundamental difference between files and folders. Mine is 'filing cabinet' determined. As such a file is the item that you put into a folder. You can put that folder (simple tabbed manila) into a wider folder (3" Pendaflex) which is put, in turn, into one of several drawers in one of several filing cabinets.....

So, is it possible to tell XP that when I open a display like, Attach File(s), I want to see all of the folders at the top of the display. Beneath them I want to see any files in that 'super folder' displayed in the order in which they were last modified in the format designated as 'details' in the View Menu . If I then open any of the folders at the top I want the same kind of display, folders first, then files.

Put another way, if this were Excel I want to first sort the display by Type and then sort it by Date. If I sort by Date, then the folders are scattered throughout the display, depending on when they were created or last modified.

It seems as though the display preference for many applications, Acrobat, Irfanview, SeaMonkey, etc. is governed at the OS preference level. Am I correct?

I think what I'm having trouble with is terminology, but then again, perhaps the distinction between folders and files got lost over time as operating systems became simpler and more complicated at the same time.

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder Options (XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2)

You can't sort the display of files and folders on more than one field. You can only sort on one field, and if you sort ascending, subfolders will be listed at the top, before all files, and if you sort descending, subfolders will be listed at the bottom, after all files. That's it...

Thanks

Thank you for the clarification.

I guess that my confusion about what it possible stems in part from Microsoft Word 2000 (Version 9) in which "File Open" creates a menu just like what I described, the sub-folders are at the top, regardless of when they were created, and then any files in the folder called for 'exploration.'

I have to say that consistency with a feature like this one is much higher on my list than "transparent glass design with subtle window animations and new window colors" but I gather that I am in the minority.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baumgrenze

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On my PC (Windows XP SP3), the Open dialog in applications acts exactly like Windows Explorer - subfolders are listed at the top if the list is sorted ascending, and at the bottom if the list is sorted descending.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This may be totally out in left field, but I've been using a program called Cottonwood Software: File-Ex for a couple of years now and although it's not free ($20) it has been an excellent utility which I learned about here in The Lounge. It is NOT Vista capable but works very well in XP. You might want to take a look.

Thanks

Thanks, Al:

I sent a note to Cottenwood asking about whether or not File-Ex will sort in the same manner as Word.
    Baumgrenze