Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No Welcome/Log-in Screen (Vista SP1)

Hi,

My wife, two kids and I just bought a new computer running Windows Vista. The two girls have standard accounts and my wife and I have administrator accounts. After the computer sleeps, about 50% of the time it wakes up not at the Welcome Center screen but on one of my girl's desktops within her standard account. (As a possible clue, her username for her account is the first of our family accounts alphabetically.) Logging out of her account and then switching to my account is driving me crazy. Please help! Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Welcome/Log-in Screen (Vista SP1)

Try stopping the Welcome Center from running. To do this uncheck the box beside Run at startup..... and close the Welcome Center. You can always get back to it from the System and Maintenance section of the Control Panel.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Better yet, go to the screen saver settings and remove the check mark at "On resume, password protect".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried both of these suggestions but they don't appear to have worked. After making these changes, I restarted the computer. After booting up, the Login screen appeared with our four account names and icons. Recall that on this screen the first two accounts (moving from left to right) are the standard and non-password protected accounts and the next two accounts are the password protected administrator accounts. I touched no buttons and after a while the computer put itself to sleep. After a while, I hit the space bar to wake up the computer. As in the past, I did not see the Login screen but rather the computer took me directly to the desktop of the standard user account that was all the way to the left on the Login screen. I want the computer to stop doing this (i.e., taking me to the desktop of the first standard user) but rather to take me back to the Login screen. Please advise. Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your computer is not going to Sleep mode then. It is simply the screen saver kicking in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John. I checked this by logging out of all accounts and going to the Login screen (i.e., the screen with the account names and icons from which you select which account to log into). I put the computer to sleep from this screen. I waited a minute and then pressed the space bar to wake the computer up. Like before, it took me not to the Login screen but to the desktop of the account all the way to the left (i.e., the first account alphabetically). So I don't think it is a problem of the computer not going to sleep. It has something to do with the account that is opened after returning from sleep. I want the Login screen rather than that account's desktop. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you taking any action to "put the computer to sleep" or does the screen black out (or similar) if the computer is untouched for a period? If it is the latter, how long does it take and what (if anything) appears on the screen?
    Note: I am asking these questions to establish whether or not a screen saver is involved and, if so, the nature of the screen saver.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It happens both ways, if I put it the computer to sleep and if the computer is untouched for a period. The outcome is the same. The computer is an HP Touchsmart if that helps and it is about 3 weeks old.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have nothing else to suggest. Perhaps posting on a HP users forum or contacting HP direct are the best courses of action unless someone else on this forum can help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But you didn't answer John's question about a screensaver. If you're using a specific screensaver, what is its name and does IT have a specific setting on what to do when awakening from sleep? Many do...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

There are two different settings for what often appears to be the same action. There is what to do when resuming from a screen saver - Control Panel | Appearance and Personalization | Personalization | Screen Saver. Make sure that "On resume, display logon screen" is checked. The other is what to do when resuming from sleep - Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Power Options | Require a password on wakeup. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". Make sure "Require a password" is selected.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al, could you tell me how to find out what specific screensaver I'm using to answer John's question. Forgive the simple question. I'm a newbie.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, both of those options are checked and unfortunately have been checked for at least a day and it is still happening. I also made sure those options are checked for all accounts (standard and administrator) on the computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but when the screensaver kicks in the screen is dark and there are alternative images of the Windows Vista logo and what I think is called the Aurora.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is the default secreen saver when NO account is logged in. Are you sure that you are being logged in or does it just appear to be?
    What name is at the TOP of the start menu when you are in the condition?

Also, do any or all of the user accounts have passwords?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast