Thanks

Document Maps and Normal Style (2002)

Is the Document Map only supposed to show heading styles? I have a few documents where the document map shows up text that has normal style. And not only that but only certain normal text is in the document map and other normal text is not. Is it a bug or can you selective chose what to put in the document map?

Can it be fixed?

I'm not a big fan of Document Map but to me it is very useful. It is like having an index sitting beside your document. It makes it easy to maneuver around in the document. And very useful for very large documents.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Maps and Normal Style (2002)

Document Map in Word 2002 uses the outline level to determine which paragraphs to display. It first looks at the Heading styles, but it may decide that other paragraphs are likely to be headings too, and it will change the outline level of those paragraphs. The latter feature disqualifies Document Map in my opinion. (In word 2003, it works better).

See Outline Levels and the Document Map and How Document Map works in Microsoft Word.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can apply outline levels to any paragraph in your document independent of the heading styles. It just so happens that not many people go playing in the Format Paragraph dialog so usually the outline level aligns with the heading styles which by default already have the outline level built in.

As the document map shows the outline level, and not the heading level (other than indirectly), it may show paragraphs other than headings, and hide paragraphs that are headings.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Thanks Hans and Andrew and for the links. I found out that by placing the cursor in the paragraph that has normal text and is in the document map and choosing the Format, Paragraph menu, there is an outline drop down box. Changing it to body text removed it out of the document map. So you can selectively add and remove text in the document map based on the outline level! Now I can clean up the map so it is a better map.

I'm glad to hear it is working much better in 2003. Thanks again.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.