Lounger
    Thanks

Autotext (2003 SP2)

Hi All

we have just centralised in the firm everyones Normal.dot so that all users are seeing the same thing but the consequence of this is that individual autotexts are lost. I remember there being a way to give users local autotext by virtue of a template but cant recall the ins and outs of this. All or users are sharing the same startup folder as well so not sure if this will have any effect on what can be done. Basically I want to give all our users a file in which they can save their own autotext that wont be overwritten.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Re: Autotext (2003 SP2)

Usually it is preferable to do this the other way around: distribute a global template with company macros, autotext entries, and menu/toolbar customizations, and allow the individuals to decide what is stored in Normal.dot. (Preferable because it can be difficult to train users to maintain other templates.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would give each user an individual copy of Normal.dot and provide shared macros, autotext, toolbars etc. through global templates in the shared Startup folder.

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for getting back to me - I have styles for numbering in Normal.dot that run from a toolbar with buttons, could these styles be stored in the add in tempolates though startup and still work the same way as they do in Normal.dot?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, users can't use styles in global templates. You could make a template with the styles available in the user templates or workgroup templates; the user would have to create a new document from the template.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

How would I get word to use something other than normal to load new documents - I know I can change the new document button when you are in WOrd but is there a way to get word to use anything other than normal for the initial document?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word always starts with a document based on Normal.dot, but that shouldn't matter. Users don't need custom styles in a one-off memo or note. You should educate them to create a new document based on a specific template for specific purposes such as a company letter or report.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can create a shortcut which opens Word using a different template to Normal. If this was used instead of the normal shortcut to open Word then you would get a different template as your starting position.

Here is a long description by Phil Rabichow <post#=413,747>post 413,747</post#> which directly addresses your query

Here is a shorter option for the shortcut which would also work for you but was written to address a different problem <post#=292,438>post 292,438</post#>
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia