Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Named range in destination Workbook (2007)

I have created a range name Dividends_Received in the destination workbook that refers to the range of data as follows in the source workbook

=SUM([M_ECMHO.xls]sheet1!$R$1499,[M_ECMHO.xls]sheet1!$T$1499:$U$1499)

when I type =Dividens_Received in the Destination workbook, I get the correct value. However, If I insert rows in the source workbook my value changes.

How can I prevent this from happening. IF I create a range name in the destination workbook called for eg Dividends_Received and it refers to =SUM([M_ECMHO.xls]sheet1!$R$1499,[M_ECMHO.xls]sheet1!$T$1499:$U$1499), how can It set the range to refer to the correct cell number even if new rows are inserted

Your assistance will be most appreciated

Regards

Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Named range in destination Workbook (2007)

You'll always run into problems like this if you refer to cells in another workbook.

As long as your destination workbook is open while the source workbook is modified, formulas and defined names in the destination workbook referring to the source workbook will be updated automatically if cells are inserted or deleted.

But if the destination workbook is closed while the source workbook is modified, it doesn't "know" about the changes, so formulas and defined names aren't updated.

So you should either combine the worksheets into one workbook, or make sure that the destination workbook is always open while the source workbook is being modified.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Named range in destination Workbook (2007)

Hi Hans

Thanks for the info

Regards

Howard