3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Capture Worksheet Password (2003)

Am trying to capture, for error handling, what the user enters when prompted for the password to unlock a sheet. Have tried this but can not get the password to show.

Private Sub cmdModifySheet_Click()
    Dim sAnswer As String
    On Error GoTo PasswordError

sAnswer = ActiveSheet.Unprotect
    Exit Sub

PasswordError:
    If err.Number = 1004 Then
    MsgBox sAnswer
    End If
    End Sub

The MsgBox in the error handler will read: "You have entered " & sAnswer. " This is an invalid password."

Am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Capture Worksheet Password (2003)

Unprotect is not a function, it doesn't return anything. I don't think you can intercept the password this way. Is cmdModifySheet a command button on a userform? If not, you should create a userform.

Place a text box txtPassword on the userform, and set its PasswordChar property to *.
    In the On Click event procedure of the command button, use

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:=Me.txtPassword

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's some unsolicited feedback from somebody who is here to get help, not give. (Believe me, I wish I could be helpful, but I'm not anywhere as savvy as Hans et al!)

I hate the idea of somebody being able to intercept an incorrect password because I often use the same password for many websites. I'm pretty careful about the ones that contain financial or other sensitive information, but other people might not be.
    Michael Coleman
    BOMI International

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans again for your feedback. I was being lazy and was trying to see if I could trap the password. Slapped together a simple userform and was able to do what was needed.

Michael - I absolutely concur with regards to passwords and security. The project that I am working on is an employee overtime hour tracking utility. There are two Team Leaders who will be given the password to unprotect a specific sheet to allow them to add/remove/modify employee data (e.g. employee name, overtime hours, phone number). There are only 15 or so employees for this work group so I didn't want to create a userform for this when I could give the TL's access to the sheet. All others are locked out.