3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DNS change for web site?

Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. An organization within our company has a web site that is hosted externally. Some changes have been made and they need to point the current domain name to the new IP address. I can get into the control panel for the account on the hosting company web site and do a redirect, but is that really the best way to do it or should a change instead be made to a DNS record or something like that?

Thanks

Re: DNS change for web site?

Well, it depends. A redirect is fine if you want to change your domain. However, it's not so good if you want to keep using the same domain.

Is the new address with the same host? If so, it is best to use your host's configuration. If not, then it depends on the setup at your new host.

Does the new host require you to use their name servers? Usually, on a server that uses "virtual" or "shared" hosting, you will need to use the host's domain servers. In that case, you would configure the new host and then update your domain registrar's records to direct the world to those domain servers.

Let's assume you have registered the domain with Cheaper-than-dirt-domains (CTDD). Your registrar CTDD holds the information on which name servers currently store the destination address for your domain. You would be updating the server names from your "old host" name servers to the information provided by your new host.

(We moved our web site a couple months ago and I went through unbelievable gymnastics to avoid missing a single email and to guarantee 100% web site uptime. Note that we don't do e-commerce, so pointing to a temporary copy of the web site during the process was fairly simple.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think this conflicts with what Jefferson said. I just recently changed web host for my domain and I have done so in the past as well. After securing the services of the new hosting company, who are NOT the registrar of my domain, I simply went to my account at the REGISTRAR'S web site and entered the new DNS settings for the new web host. Within a day or two, my web domain was being properly sent to the DNS servers of the new host. I don't think it could have been any simpler than that. Good luck...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information, guys. I don't have enough information at this point to answer the questions posed, but you have given me some things to go with in order to help them make a proper decision on how to proceed.