Lounger
    Thanks

Strange opening dialog box after security updates (Word 2003)

After not checking for updates for several months, a few days ago I applied a large batch of security updates to my Office 2003 programs using Microsoft's Office Update site. Essentially I accepted the installation of everything that the Office Update site said I needed after it scanned my system. The specific updates applied were as follows:

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack, which I had installed many months ago), plus the associated Office 2007 security updates KB955936, KB951944, KB951808, KB954326, and KB954038
    KB954464 (security update for Word 2003)
    KB955439 (security update for Access 2003)
    KB957257 (update for Outlook 2003 junk mail filter)
    KB955466 (security update for Excel 2003)
    KB921598 (security update for Office 2003)
    KB953404 (security update for Office 2003)
    KB953432 (update for Outlook 2003)
    KB954478 (security update for Office 2003)
    KB950213 (security update for Publisher 2003)
    KB948988 (security update for PowerPoint 2003)

Ever since then, whenever I open Word, I first get a dialog box whose first line says "Opening this document will run the following SQL command:", followed by a blank line (i.e., no SQL command is listed), then a line that says "Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to continue?". Once I click either "Yes" or "No" (it doesn't seem to matter which), the dialog box goes away, and everything seems to operate normally. I have Word set to start up without creating a blank new document, so there's no document for any database data to be placed in. Furthermore, I don't have any database linked to any of my documents by a macro or anything else. If I open a Word by double-clicking a document in Windows Explorer, I get the same dialog box at the outset (before the document loads), but this time it's overlaid by another dialog box that says "The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is opened. Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue." Once I click OK on this dialog box and then click "Yes" or "No" on the original (underlying) dialog box, the document loads, and everything seems fine. If I close a document but leave Word itself open, and then open another document, I don't get any of these dialog boxes, so the behavior seems to occur only when Word first opens. Nothing like this (or anything else unusual) happens when I open Access, Excel, or PowerPoint. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to make it stop?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Vance Hamilton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange opening dialog box after security updates (Word 2003)

Perhaps you have an add-in that somehow conflicts with one of the updates. Try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Added later: the e-mail notification of this reply was returned as undeliverable. Make sure that the e-mail address in Edit profile is still correct.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange opening dialog box after security updates (Word 2003)

Hans--
    Your suggestion was correct. It was the Task Pane Controller add-in that was the source of the conflict, and removing it cured the problem. Thanks for your help and for recommending Phil Rabichow's systematic approach, which helped me find the problem quickly.
    Sorry about the e-mail bounceback previously. I hadn't visited the forum since changing my e-mail address several months ago, and I forgot to update it. My profile is now updated to the correct e-mail address.

Best wishes,
    Vance