3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dictionary size (OL in Office 2003)

Hi everyone;
    I have work of technical nature, and we use terms descriptive of functions and/or parameter values, like Vin to indicate input voltage.
    Whenever spelling checked, the new word was added to dictionary.
    Now, In the middle of editing a message, I am being notified that "my dictionary is full", and I should delete words to make space.
    I find it unbelievable, and given that (for instance), the size of (for example) Recycle bins can be allocated for each partition, i would imagine that also this "dictionary size' can be set, but have been unable to find it.
    Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dictionary size (OL in Office 2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 05-Nov-08 13:21. )</P>You are very likely having the same problem in Word. There is an absolute limit to the custom user dictionary size through Office 2003 - not sure about 2007. The limit is 5,000 words/64kb.

There's a solution; in Word, create another dictionary. Open Word | Tools | Options | Spelling & Grammar tab | Custom Dictionaries | New | in the File name box, enter a name for the custom dictionary | Save. In the Dictionary list box, activate (check/tick) the new custom dictionary.

Edit - in a brief test, it looks like the most recent dictionary becomes the repository for new words, so the following may not be correct - I'll leave it here for posterity.
    I'm not sure, but I think the custom.dic file will be default for saving new words, so transfer the content of existing custom.dic to your new dictionary via cutting and pasting in Notepad (*.dic files are plain text files). The files should be located in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftProof.

The other part I don't know for certain is if Outlook will use both dictionaries. Since adding a dictionary should be useful to you in Word, how about you try it and let us know? (And if you really want to be a local hero, you could pull all your industrial terms and acronyms into a custom dictionary file and provide it to your company's users.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dictionary size (OL in Office 2003)

Thanks, John.
    I will give it a try and let you know the results.