Lounger
    Thanks

Win/MAC Word incompatibility with SQL merge (Word 2007/Mac Word 2004 )

We are setting up some forms that are automatically generated via a SharePoint application using data in an SQL2005 database. The procedure generates a .doc file with some fields filled in using the SQL data. The resulting file looks fine in Winword 2007 and the Mac programs TextEdit, NeoOffice 2 and Pages, but formatting is completely disrupted with blank spaces and generally a mess when viewed using the Mac version of Word 2004. Since these files have to be sent to many academics in the US who use Macs, this is serious and I wonder if anyone can advise. I attach a form generated in this way as an example.

Many thanks in advance
    Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Win/MAC Word incompatibility with SQL merge (Word 2007/Mac Word 2004 )

I can't see anything in the file that would cause the problems you describe so I assume the problem is in the filter that the Mac users have with that version of Word. One possible alternative is to save the document in a different format to avoid that filter. I don't think your SQL data is the issue as it appears there is no link back to that source in the document you attached.

If you want them to open it with Word then I would try an RTF format.
    Alternatively, a PDF or HTML version would open with the relevant programs.

Another possibility is to send the academics a link back to your Sharepoint site and you have the current content displayed there.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. It seems this problem was solved by an update to version 11.5.0 of Word 2004 Mac. However, we still have major problems with another set of more complicated forms generated via our database and I wonder if you would mind just having a look at this one to see if anything strikes you about the fields. Either the forms are scrambled or the Mac refuses to open them.

There is no problem on Windows XP or Vista. The forms without the merged data open OK on the Mac.

Incidentally, saving as RTF doesn't help.
    Thanks
    Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Martin

I'm looking at the documents using Word 2007 on a Vista PC so I don't have any problem with them.

That document has a bit more content and consequently more things to go wrong with import filters. I guess MS knew the filters in Word 2004 must have been buggy since it was fixed it by an update. I believe that the standard form fields in Word 2007 are different to the legacy form fields from earlier versions. I think the ones you have used are the legacy versions as the later versions won't save as a doc file type. However, perhaps Word 2007 creates these form fields slightly differently to the earlier versions of Word and that is the problem with the filter.

Is it possible for you to create the form from a PC running an earlier version of Word and test that result on a Mac installation? If you get the same result then we can eliminate Word 2007 as the issue and that leaves us with the same buggy import filter in Mac Word 2004.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew - thanks. It might take a while for me to get back to you on this since we will have to reinstall the older Word version on a spare PC, generate the form, then ask our SharePoint developers to try it. I'll get back to you later.

Martin