3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformatting HD from Vista (Vista Business)

I made a mistake and installed Vista on my laptop! Please don't try to convince me that I just need to move along with the tide and install VIsta and get over it. The hardware is an HP 530 Business Laptop. The keyboard problem appears to have been related to the previous XP-SP3 install with out of date drivers because it has disappeared with Vista. I need to reinstall XP Pro SP-3 and upgrade relevant drivers to see if the problem reappears because the machine is under warranty. It won't malfunction under VIsta. I need to make it malfunction under XP if the reinstall and driver updates don't fix the problem in order to get warranty service.

It was a mistake because I installed Vista only trying to diagnose and resolve a problem with my keyboard - I intend to use XP-SP3 to maintain compatibility with old apps that I don't need or want to upgrade - and now I CAN'T GET RID OF IT!

I know I need to format the hard drive. I've already backed everything up to an external hard drive. I've gone into system settings and disabled the SATA legacy function and made the first boot option the CD/DVD drive. I disabled legacy SATA based on reading posts I found by googling. I thought that by booting from the CD that I would go into setup and be given the option to format the hd. Didn't happen. When I placed the XP-SP2 distribution os into the drive, Vista told me that it wasn't about to allow me to revert to an older OS. When I placed the Vista distribution os into the drive, it skipped the setup process and continued to boot the os.

Can someone point me to a reliable how-to - or just post instructions here - that will get me past this? I really need my old apps and they WON'T run with VIsta. I can't afford to upgrade and see no reason to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Reformatting HD from Vista (Vista Business)

At the point in the boot process when the device is selected Vista is not running. The XP installation CD may load something that detects a new OS but you should be able to ignore that message and continue.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I finally was able to break through this problem. I went into the setup options and disabled the multiple boot option and left only the boot from cd option enabled. I then loaded the XP reinstall cd in the drive and powered up. This time the cd started the installation process which gave me the option to format the hard drive. I formatted the hard drive then reinstalled XP-SP2 then downloaded and installed the SP-3 update.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Good!! Glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe