Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't save files (Win XP Home/SP 3)

I have two hard drives, 30 GB each. I had such a small amount of free space (something like 7%) on my C drive that the computer was getting flaky. I have a lot (too many( files in the My Documents so if I moved them to the basically empty D drive, it would free up the C drive. According to this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147 from Microsoft, I can easily change the default location of the My Documents. So I did that and that indeed freed up the C drive.

However, thereafter I was unable to save any files to the My Documents on the D drive. It said Access Denied, or claimed the folders were Read Only. This is logged in a Limited User Acct. Which was perfectly able to save files to the C drive, and can in fact still save files to the C drive. But NOT to the default My Documents which is now on the D drive.

The Properties of the My Documents on the Start Menu shows that the target is the D drive, so the default did indeed get changed. I tried restoring the My Documents to the default, which is the C drive, then moving it back again but same problem. I can't even create a new folder on the D drive --- says it's Read Only. And sure enough, the attributes are Read Only. I've changed them twice now and they just keep going back to Read Only.

If I change the acct type to Administrator, I am able to save files on D. If I log in as Administrator, I am able to save files on D. BUT I used to save files just fine as under the LUA (there are 14 MB of files that are now on the D drive that I originally saved on the C) and I want to continue to be able to do so. Microsoft told me to log in as Admin and figured the problem was solved. Not.

Aaargh. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Callie
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't save files (Win XP Home/SP 3)

Thanks, that worked.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ---- Arthur C. Clarke

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: can't save files (Win XP Home/SP 3)

You're welcome. Glad it helped. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe