Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Word has stopped working (2007 SR-1)

Word has been driving me crazy with the message on most documents, including the default blank template, that Word has stopped working. This is on two different computers.

Finally, tonight, came the news that this is due to a problem with the driver for my HP printer (of which I have a number). Change the default printer and the problem will go away (they say) and this is now a known issue with one or more HP printer drivers.

I couldn't spot a thread on this and I haven't received the issue message before, so I am posting it here for the benefit of other users who may have the same problem. In my case I have one or two reliable documents that can be invoked from My Documents, and once those are open I am in business for any others, including any new documents.

Thanks

Re: Word has stopped working (2007 SR-1)

Thanks for the report.

Word 97-2003 .doc format documents store information about the current print (or printer that was current when the document was saved) because driver information is used for pagination, font metrics, and other fine points of rendering. I suppose Word 2007 .docx format documents also must store similar information. Did you notice any pattern to the problem as between the two formats?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No, I didn't notice that, but to the best of my recollection the HP printers were no problem at one time but the Word problem is more recent, which suggests that the problem is with an MS update or something of the sort.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

One suggestion from the relevant Office troubleshooting gizmo was to set Privacy Options in the application's Trust Centre to 'Download a file that periodically tests etc.' (I didn't write it down but I did set it and will post the solution if I get one).