Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word stalls upon close and creates temp files (Word 2003/11.8227.8221)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Atelby on 08-Nov-08 23:24. )</P>Word 2003, running on XP system. All critical updates and service packs are up to date.

After installing Word, everything works fine, with no delay upon close. However, after importing Macros from another computer, Word stalls for a long time while creating temp files in the same directory that the Normal.dot file is saved (Cocuments and SettingsAdministratorApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates). The regular Normal.dot file is in the folder, as well as the ghost copy ~Normal.dot. However, after the Macros have been installed, three or four temp files are created when closing Word, which are ~WRD0001.tmp (document file), WRL0002.tmp (clipboard file), and ~WRD0003.tmp. If the Macros are removed, Word opens and closes properly, without going through the process of creating the temp files. I can see that the delay on closing is because Word is creating these temp files and deleting them afterward, but I have no idea as to why this might be happening. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Word, running scans to remove temp files, scanning for viruses, renaming/removing the Normal.dot file to see if it was corrupted, etc., but nothing has worked. I have set up multiple computers with the same Macros in the past (setting up one computer last week), and I am sure that there is no problem with the Macros themselves.

I should also mention that I am attempting to set this computer up remotely, so I do not have access at all times (I have to phone ahead to make sure the computer is available). The computer has Norton antivirus installed, which was supplied by AT&T Yahoo.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and how to fix the problem? I am thinking it is probably a simple setting that needs to be checked/unchecked somewhere in the Word or Windows environment, but I have pretty much run out of ideas at this point.

I appreciate any help you can give me! :-)

Thanks

Re: Word stalls upon close and creates temp files (Word 2003/11.8227.8221)

Do any of the macros run on close? Those would be logical candidates for further evaluation in case there is something incompatible about the new environment in which they are running.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Atelby on 09-Nov-08 01:32. )</P>Oddly enough, the entire Word environment works perfectly. The Macros run fine, without any delay or hang ups. The only problem seems to be on exiting Word, which is when there is a long delay because Word is creating temp files in the same folder that stores the Normal.dot file (which are deleted once Word completely closes). Word creates these temp files each time it closes, even when no new document is created and no further changes have been made to the environment. From past experience, I have learned that if one thing appears to be working improperly, then you can expect more odd things in the future, so I would like to figure out what is causing this to happen. I have tried searching the Internet and reading up at Microsoft to see if anyone else has had this type of problem, but I cannot find any information as to what might be causing this to happen. All-in-all, Word works fine, it is just takes a long time for the program to close completely. I also checked for add-ins, but there do not appear to be any.

Forgot to mention... The Macros were created using Word 2002 and are being installed in a computer running Word 2003. I have installed the same Macros on other computers running Word 2003, but I have never had this type of problem with temp files being created upon exit. As far as I know, the VBE language did not change from 2002 to 2003?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no reason why macros created in Word 2002 should cause Word 2003 to act strangely.

Perhaps Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> will help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your suggestions, Jefferson and Hans. I have determined that the problem stems from Norton antivirus. :-)