5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 - 2000 Differences (Access 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

I have designed Access databases in Access 97 for a number of years, up until a couple of years ago. I haven't done any Access designing in the last couple of years and I've forgotten some things I should know -- old age will do that to you! I need to design a pretty simple database in Access 2000 now and I've noticed a difference with Access 97. In form design mode, Access 97 has a "button" in the upper left corner of each form that when clicked changes the active control to the form itself, i.e., you click on the upper left corner of the form to change the property sheet from one of the controls on the form to the form itself. In Access 2000 I don't see a upper-left button for this purpose. How do I select the form itself in Access 2000?

Are there other operating differences similar to this that I need to learn about?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 - 2000 Differences (Access 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

That button is still there.

It is years since I worked in 97, but I don't remember anything that goes missing when you move from 97 to 2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are some differences to keep in mind:
    - In Access 97 it was possible to edit the design of a form or report while the database was being used by others. In Access 2000 and later, the database is locked exclusively if you start editing the design of a form or report.
    - VBA: code is now edited in a separate Visual Basic Editor.
    - VBA: some new functions are available, for example Replace.
    - VBA: In Access 97, DAO was the default data object model; in Access 2000 and 2002 it is ADO (Microsoft reverted to DAO in Access 2003). So if you create a new database in Access 2000, there will be no reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library; if you want to use DAO you must set the reference yourself in Tools | References...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

That is certainly what I had thought I remembered from my short contacts with Access 2000 in the past. However, as you can see in the picture I am including, there is no button! I just created a New form and selected Design View in the creation process and the picture shows what I got.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the list of things Hans. I knew about the switch in defaults from DAO to ADO but I didn't realize that they switched back in 2003. I'll keep that list for a while.

I'm sure you will see my reply to John. Hopefully, one of you, or someone else, can suggest what might be causing my problem.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try selecting View | Ruler to display the horizontal and vertical ruler. The button that selects the form will be in the upper left corner where the rulers intersect.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

OK, now it looks right! I actually looked through the View menu before I wrote my message to see if there wasn't something there that should be checked but I either did it under the wrong circumstances or I just overlooked the Ruler item.

Thanks,
    Bill