3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

excel to Visual Fox Pro? (xl 2003sp3)

Does anyone know a reliable tool for exporting an excel spreadsheet as a fox pro table?
    One I have bought works fine in the 'into excel' direction but fails the other way and I'm getting no joy from the supplier.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: excel to Visual Fox Pro? (xl 2003sp3)

Have you tried saving the worksheet as a DBase (.dbf) file? FoxPro should be able to read that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I fear that it doesn't Hans, in any of the flavours of .dbf offered in the 'save as' box.
    JRR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly is the problem? Perhaps your worksheet doesn't have the correct structure for a database table?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's a structured list, Hans, 1st row = headers exactly as in the Foxpro table from which it came.
    Plenty of them!
    /memb_no surname forenam addres1 addres2 addres3 addres4 postcod tel_no occupat d_o_bir join_date feepaid nok_sur nok_fir nok_ad1 nok_ad2 nok_ad3 nok_ad4 nok_pcd emp_num sta_pay pay_frq post_to categories budget bfeeprev lintprev bintprev works_tel comment juvenile qualify nonmemb worksad1 worksad2 worksad3 worksad4 workspcd worksfax worksemail worksgroup worksdept worksrole worksni mobile title nok_tit nok_num home fax homeemail prevpc budgsusp delinquent dateleft alert multipay dwp1 dwpcat tofull sortcode account loanpcent absvalue uselpcent

I've edited the contents of the records with updated stuff looked up from a .csv file, copied and pasted as values, and want to save it back as a FoxPro .dbf with the same filename as the previous, thus replacing the old data with the new.
    Not all records have non-null values in all fields - might it help if I populated such cells with a space character, for example?
    Thanks for your help so far.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

FoxPro should be able to handle blank values, but I don't have any experience with it. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you.