New Lounger
    Thanks

AVG in Ask Woody (XP SP3)

So if I have AVG version 8.0 am I safe to download & install the AVG virus update that caused the problem in a current "Ask Woody" post?
    David Pidcock

TheAZGolfBum

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AVG in Ask Woody (XP SP3)

The problem affects both AVG 7.5 and AVG 8.0, so I'd hold off installing updated signature files for the moment.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.
    Just checked auto update, which I have just disabled, and it shows;
    Last updated November 11, 2008, 4:26 AM probably Arizona time.
    Virus database version 270.9.1/1781

Am I still ok?
    David Pidcock

TheAZGolfBum

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you're safe now - you already have an update in which the problem has been corrected (it was first repaired in 270.9.0/1778, you have 270.9.0/1781).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another reason to not (when using AVG AV):

-Use the setting automatic heal (Auto-heal etc.) or removal (as per usual in most AV programs it is the default setting). Then it's a different matter that in these cases they were most probably presented a dialog box asking what to do.
    -Set the virus vault to delete files after a size or time limit, or at least not set it too small. (There have been cases where some string in an old email triggered a false positive, quarantining the whole mail file, and in many clients they are archives containing many mails, then suddenly reaching the virus vault limit, and zap, away goes all the old mail due to a false positive string in one old mail).

What I am trying to say is that; no one can foresee a false positive coming, but one can try to limit the potential damage caused by the program if that happens. This is best done by examining the settings, possibly tweaking some at install time, and to stay up to date with definitions since they many times are fixed relatively quickly.