Thread: XP Disc (SSP2)

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Disc (SSP2)

Hi there. I found the site while going through Windows XP hack and mods by Woody. I'm really enjoying it. Anyhoo...

My particular problem may be a little unusual. My Packard Bell laptop came with a pretty nifty secret partition in which an entire home edition suite of windows is secured. As a result of this, I am able to reset my machine back to factory default once or twice a year.

The problem is that my computer was not shipped with a windows disc and so there are a number of things I can't do. For example, the latest AVG problem. If I had been struck by that, I wouldn't have the disc to restore it.

What do I do about this? Does Microsoft or Packard Bell owe me a disc? When I get a new comp, I should surely be able to use my own purchased windows disc on it? If I made a computer from scratch I would need to re-purchase windows. That doesn't seem fair.

Hope youz can help.

Great site by the way.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: XP Disc (SSP2)

It is not Microsoft's responsibility to supply you with a CD. The OEM (Packard Bell) can decide if they want to ship a CD or not. If not, you should be able to request one (which may cost you a minor amount). Also, often times the OEM will provide a method of creating a CD yourself. Usually the shortcut for this is in a folder named for the OEM.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. Can you tell me more about the OEM folder and making a disc? I'll have a look for that feature. Also, if Packard Bell want to send me a cheap CD then I will happily accept the payment.

Administrator
    Thanks

Usually, in Start | All Programs the will be a folder in which the OEM has placed shortcuts to tools, documents, drivers, etc. I'd look for something named "Packard BELL" and check what is in it. It will most likely be named something having to do with "recovery CD".

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure, but perhaps Recovery Boot Disk Creator will be useful.

New Lounger
    Thanks

WoW! Thank you for searching through Packard Bell's own site for that. Excuse my ignorance but is a boot disc not a different thing to an official windows XP disc?

AH! I have another question and this one's probably fairly daft. Can I keep my hidden partition and use it in another machine? Would I be able to use that to re-install WIndows on another machine?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A boot disk is not the same as a Windows installation disk, but it might be useful if your PC cannot start disk any more.

You have an OEM version of Windows that can only be used in the PC it came with. You're not allowed to install or use it on other PCs.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah....the boot disc won't be much good because I am about buy or make a new computer. I am just miffed that I purchased a windows machine but I don't get to keep my own darn copy.

Also, I appreciate that I'm not allowed to put it into another machine. But I want to know if it's possible. I paid money to Packard Bell. The tinkerable equipment now belongs to me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You paid money to Packard Bell, but you would have had to pay more if they had included a retail version of Windows...

New Lounger
    Thanks

So buying a second copy of windows is my only solution!? I won't be packard belling again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the new PC doesn't come with a copy of Windows, that's the only way.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think that's awful.

Thanks for the help though. I won't shoot the messenger. The info is muchly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks

Microsoft sells the Windows license to OEMs at a greatly reduced priced. You get the benefit of that with a lower price for the PC. It is the same with any OEM installed version of Windows. You are now seeing the downside - not being able to move Windows from one machine to another. Since the vast majority of PC users buy a PC with Windows preinstalled this is not an issue for them.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I see. Pity my comp was relatively expensive. Thanks for the help folks. I will stick around here to occasionally ask for advice and hopefully, at some point, give it back.

Ah....last question then: Is it possible to use my old hard drive, complete with integrated secret windows partition on a newer machine? It has been said that it is not allowed (though I can't find anything in my paperwork that says this) but is it possible nonetheless?

Administrator
    Thanks

If you mean as a second drive then yes you can use it for data storage. Any programs that are currently installed will not work on the new PC. You can NOT use it as the primary (boot) drive as your version of Windows is tied to the current PC.

Joe
    Joe