Star Lounger
    Thanks

Presentation Files (2003??)

I have inherited a project which is a 50 slide Powerpoint with an embedded Excel file. The previous person created a single file .PPT and put on a Business Card size CD. THey hand them out at conventions. I have the presentation in Powerpoint 2003 (I don't what version it was created / packaged in). On this disk there is only one file. I can just double click on the single PPT file on the disk and the slide show would automatically run and displays the Excel data when I click on the icon on the slide.

WIth my version, I can run the slide show from Powerpoint (F5) just fine. However, when I 'package' it for a CD, it creates a number of files and when the user opens it, it is in the Edit mode, asking if they want to relink the files. Am I missing something? Am I using the wrong option to 'package' it. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

An update - I used the IExpress program to create an EXE file and it all seems to work except now when I 'Package to CD' and run the slide show the Excel link doesn't work. Even before I package as a Exe, . I get an message saying that the Powerpoint Viewer doesn'[t support linked or embedded objects. The original Powerpoint file that I received had an Icon for the Excel data. It appears that the Excel data is stored in the Powerpoint slide itself rather than linked. I opened the spreadsheet in the Edit mode and deleted the data in the existing Excel file. Then I copied the data from an updated version. It works in the Edit mode but not in the Slide Screen mode.

I had tried to insert the updated Excel file directly with a new button but it didn't want to work in the slide show mode - just in the edit mode. Neither works in the EXE mode with the viewer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Presentation Files (2003??)

If you have a single .ppt file with embedded (not linked) objects, you don't have to use the Package for CD option or similar tools. You can simply copy the .ppt file to a mini-CD or flash drive in Windows Explorer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I Saved As my Powerpoint files as a Presentation (.ppt) file. But when I double click on it, it comes up in the Powerpoint Edit mode rather than automatically starting the slide show. Am I missing a astep?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could right-click the .ppt file and select View from the popup menu. Or save the presentaiton as a .pps file, this will open in slideshow view when you double-click it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I really appreciate you folks.