2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Exporting to Word or Excel errors (Access 2003)

Hello Access Gurus,

I am wondering why I am getting data corruption problems when I either use Publish to Word, Analyse it with Excel or just export an Access report / form to Word or Excel? The fields that are getting corrupted are as follows:
    1. The File Number field in the format of yy/nnnn eg 08/0010 becomes something like -5267899 or some other number when published to Excel using the Officelinks button. This doesn't happen for all records and there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern.
    2. Some fields are joined as one when publishing to Word. For example, the two fields of File ID and File Number become concatenated for the first 8 records and then the remainder are separated into two fields.

I have tried looking for others who may have experienced the same situation but have not been able to locate any issues. Maybe it is because I have searched on the wrong subject, not sure.

Anyway I look forward to hearing from anyone who knows what is happening or whether it is a known bug?

Regards

Jocelyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exporting to Word or Excel errors (Access 2003)

Could you post a small sample database that demonstrates the problem? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

I have attached a stripped out sample of the database removing all confidential info having followed your instructions in post 401925. If you view the report and then try analysing with Excel, you will see what I mean about a corrupted File No.
    There was another problem when I published the data to Word and it concatenated the the first two fields together for the first 8 records only, but I can't demonstrate this in this small sample of the database now.

I look forward to your words of wisdom.

Regards

Jocelyn
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I see now. FileNo is a text field, but Excel tries to interpret the values as dates.
    Exporting a report is often problematic. I'd export the source query qryFileLocations instead. you can sort the data in Excel and add subtotals (from the Data menu) there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your assistance Hans. It's good to know that it is not just me having the problem!

Regards

Jocelyn