3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Protected dropdown (Word 2003 SP3)

What I want to do: 1. Insert a dropdown list in a table cell in a regular Word doc; 2. populate it; 3. allow any user to edit the document anywhere, except don't allow editing of the dropdown list; 4. allow any user to make a selection from the dropdown list; 5. then allow further editing of the document.

What I've able to do so far: 1 & 2 above.

6. The only way I seem to be able to make the dropdown list "live" is to select it and Protect it by clicking the padlock icon on the Forms toolbar.
    7. But then, after a selection, the document can't be edited until the dropdown is Unprotected.
    8. I've tried running this macro on Exit (in the Drop-Down Form Fields Option box):
    Sub UnprotectDropdown
    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    End If
    End Sub
    9. But the document was still locked for editing.

What should I try? Any help appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Protected dropdown (Word 2003 SP3)

When you protect a document for forms, you can specify which sections of the document will be protected and which ones won't. (To do this, you have to use the task pane that you get through Tools | Protect Document..., not the padlock on the Forms toolbar). So you could insert section breaks and unprotect all sections except the one containing the dropdown.

Another option would be to use the combo box from the Control Toolbox, but you'd need VBA code to populate it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Huh. I'm working in a multi-column table. Maybe a way to do this is to have the dropdown in its own row with invisible borders, and section break on both sides?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, you cannot insert section breaks within a table. If it's acceptable to place the forms dropdown in a single-row table, you can insert continuous section breaks above and below it, and protect only the section with the single-row table.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, will try that this weekend.