2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Player Software - Help!!

Anyone have a recommendation for DVD player software. I don't need anyting fancy, just a simple, dependable program that will play DVD's, preferably region free without the five-time-region-change-limit.

For some (!!) reason, Window media player version 11 would not play 2 DVD's from the local library. So I thought to try Version 10. Got an error message on install "This version of Window Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows.
    So I downloaded and installed WinDVD which came with Real Player. Big mistake. Could hear DVD, but no video. Support desk suggesteed uninstalling, registry editing to remove traces and reinstalling. Did not work. Real Player terminated with error.

As far as I know, my system is clean with no virus or malware. Videos on the Internet play fine. I'm running XP SP 2 with 512 meg memory. GeoForce video card. So I'm not sure why I am having this trouble.

Any thoughts on what's goingon and which software might be approp[riate for me to install?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD Player Software - Help!!

Hi Mark,

I'd reccomend the swiss army knife of video players VLC Media Player.
    It can play most files you throw at it inc DVD, VCD & ISO.

Neville

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD Player Software - Help!!

IIRC, the 5-time region thing is a hardware limitation and VLC (though I would recomment that too) won't get over this. Many moons ago, I used Remote selector to change the region in a sort of layer-before-the-DVD-drive way (probably not making myself too clear here).

Basically it allows you to play any region DVD without affecting the region coding of the drive. Run it first then play the disk.

Have fun.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)