5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering not behaving itself (2003 SP2)

Afternoon all,

If Word were a person I think I shall have strangled it by now today!!

I am using numbering and so far into a 90 page document it has worked fine, however I now want to add the number 3. but when I type the points for number 3 and hit return it turns into number 4. I have tried delting it time and time again but it still does it. The last number above it is definitely 2. (it is someway above it because I am using indented paragraphs after using the inital numbering) and this has worked so far throughout the entire document.

Any ideas please before i run amok with my computer screen and end up on U tube 'Fat London div runs amok with computer screen'

Cheers

Steve

(editted to correct typos which were missed whilst venting my spleen)
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering not behaving itself (2003 SP2)

"however I now want to add the number 3. but when I type the points for number 3 "

Could you clarify this bit? what do you mean "type the points"? and when you say you want to "add the number three" do you mean using a numbered list?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

for example

2. blah blah blah

more text indented to be level with the numbering format

3. blah blah blah

but every time the 3 would turn into a 4.

In desperation I saved the work to a memory stick and bought it home and on my laptop the 3. stays a 3. so problem solved but I cannot fathom out why it would not work on the office PC with the same word version and service updates.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you rely on Word automatically converting items such as 1. etc. to numbering? That is not very reliable, as you have found. You should always use styles to apply numbering. Word has some built-in styles for this purpose: List Number and List Continuation, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for the input, I generally tend to use Word as a computerised typewriter but you have given me some study material below. I still don't know , and probably never will, why 2 machines with the same O/S, same Office version and same SP's behave differently.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve